Thursday, 1 December 2011

New starts and stuff.

Okay, so I realised it's been AGES yet again since my last post. So here I am. I hope you are all well and enjoying life and all that jazz.

Anyway, I'm here because life has taken a major turning point for me, and I did say I'd post when things got remotely interesting. So here goes.

I quit college. I hate the word quit, because I'm not a quitter, and I don't feel like I've quite. So I'm actually having a 'long break from edication'. But for all of you, I've quit. It'll take an extremely long post to try and get you to understand *why* I've quit, and quite frankly I don't really want to plaster deep and meaningfuls all over my blog. I'll get deep and shit but there's some things that are best unsaid. Anyway, it wasn't an easy decision, those of you that know me would know how I hate giving up on something that I've put so much into. It's definitely the best decision though, I was extremely unhappy and college stress was the largest contributing factor. So here is where my rant on education begins...

All of this is merely opinion, and as ever if you disagree, feel free to comment or say absolutely nothing. To me, some education is crucial. *Some*. As education is recognised as a secondary source of socialisation, I believe it's important for children and young adults to learn social norms, values and beliefs to ensure that society functions well. Having people who understand and respect social norms, values and beliefs helps to ensure that crime and defiance is kept to a minimum. Obviously other factors contribute to crime and defiance levels, but that is another post all together. I think that education needs to focus more on "right and wrong" because, personally, I think being a 'good person' overpowers whether or not you can find Bulgaria on a map and tell someone it's exact coorindates. You can be the best scientist in your class, but be an utter dick to the people around you. Where's that going to get you? I know that a lot of people benefit from being an arsehole, and that works for a lot of people, but how can they honestly be happy knowing they've hurt so many people?

From another view, education is one of the most stressful factors of ones young life. I'll check my Facebook home page and Twitter news feed in the evening and the majority of posts are 'omg so much coursework!' or 'this essay is never going to be finished, no sleep for me!'. And I know that sometimes or most of the time this is down to the individual leaving it to the latest possible moment to start their work (I know because I've been there), however this if either a case of pure laziness or not enough time/concentration or energy. If it's down to laziness, more fool you. If it's due to other factors, I can empathise. For me, I had a million and one other things constantly running through my head, so writing a 4 page essay on the first stage of child development, interesting as it were, was the least of my worries. I loved, and still love, every one of my A2 subject choices, and will definitely continue then at some point. But for me, right now, education is not a benefit, it was sucking the life and soul out of me to the point where my health was seriously affected.

I'm 18 years old. I'm young and if I'm lucky, have a long life ahead of me. There are some things that you can't do once you're over a certain age, or when you have responsibilities such as marriage, children and full time careers. I want to live my life while I can? I don't want to spend my youth with sleepless nights worrying about my personal statement or whether my UCAS application has been accepted, or even what university I want to go to! I want to spend my time making good memories, taking shit loads of photographs of it all so that the memories never fade. I think everyone my age should embrace life before it gets shitter and bloody enjoy it! So for me, education, at this age, sucks.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment