Friday, 2 December 2011

Okay so it's December again...

December is genuinely my favourite month of the year. Not only does it mean that the shitty year ends and we all get to make New Years resolutions we all know we're not going to stick to, it means Christmas baby! And it's not about getting stuff for me - oh how mature I am ;). Christmas for me is about family time, as lovely and cheesy as that is. As a family, we argue, there's no point sugar coating it and making out we're all best friends; most of the time we hate each other. Of course we love each other, but we rarely like each other. December is the month where we feel closest, and don't feel the need to argue. Okay, that doesn’t start until at least the 15th but knowing it's coming makes me happy.

I was shopping in town the other day and hearing Christmas songs genuinely made me feel happy inside, and this is a rarity in itself. There’s something so magical about Christmas time, and I know it should all be about the birth of Christ and not about getting shit loads of gifts, and I understand that, but for me, Christmas is about making my family and friends happy. I’m not a religious person, I tried it out; I've only ever been to Catholic schools/colleges, got baptised and took my communion, but it’s just not me. I prefer to see myself as a spiritual person. I don’t want to follow a God, or a set of commandments. If there is a God, he (or she) should be happy with my efforts to be a good person, and my belief in there being more to life.

How, and why, I got onto the subject of religion is beyond me. My mind just wanders. That’s why I’m terrible at this whole blog thing. I start each entry with the plan to stick to a subject, but as I type, my mind opens up, and this massive trail of thought ends up going from talking about a book to the taste of my tea to how the world is unfair. It’s how my mind works I guess, must be frustrating for you readers though. I’m not apologising though, no one’s forcing you to read this. And if they are, I hope you make it out alive and safe.

Anyway, this has completely changed from the original point. I hope you all have a magical December and Christmas. Make the most of the special time you have with your family. Even if there’s friction, take a back seat and realise that these moments are all memories we look back and smile at. Life isn’t all that bad.

1 comment:

  1. *wanders

    Also, I love Christmas too. Winter and Spring are my favourite seasons. But Christmas is certainly one of my favourite times of year, the whole atmosphere just makes me happy.

    I genuinely empatise with WetWetWet at Christmas, not that cover in Love Actually, but the original: I seriousl feel like there's love everywhere at christmas.

    Oh how cool am I?

    ReplyDelete